Sixty members attended a meeting on January 23rd 1936 and paid six shillings (30 pence) each, to start off. Eventually there were ninety six founder members.
Previously the property had been a Public House The Beaufort Arms at the rear was a Blacksmiths shop.
Fifty pounds was needed irrespective of members fees to commence the club. It was suggested that those interested were to advance sums at their discretion without interest and such sums to be repaid from profits when available. This suggestion was well received and sums totalling Twenty-Five pounds were at once given. They were repaid in 1938.
To start with the club was rented from Douglas Stinchcombe of Hall House, Wickwar. It was offered for sale for Three Hundred and Twenty five pounds in 1937 but the committee could not afford to purchase it at the time. They rented it until 1946 when it was then purchased. A mortgage was taken out and repaid by 1953.
Today the club has 350 members. Joining is straightforward, new members are always welcome.
The Social Club caters for all age groups; you can come and play pool, darts, crib, watch Sky Sports on the large screen TV, or just sit quietly in the lounge area.
Further information on facilities and events at the Social Club can be found on their website: www.wickwarsocial.club