Spinning, Weaving and Dyeing
In the 16th Century Wickwar had 34 Weavers and one apprentice weaver.
John Somers 1664; Nathaniel Daniell 1664, West End; Joseph Witchell 1664, High Street; Nickolas Roach 1662; Robert Burnell 1680; William Worrell died 1735; John Purnell died 1726, Pool House; William Hobbs died 1778, West End.
Wickwar Quarries Ltd, Churchwood Quarry
Commenced in 1919, on a site known as Churchwood Farm, on the Wickwar to Charfield Road.
Wickwar Coal Co Ltd
Wickwar Quarries Ltd purchased the coal business from the Minett family in the 1930s. The business was acquired by Thomas Silvey Ltd during the 1950s.
Michael and Jean Handoll purchased an orchard adjoining Castle Farm, a garage was built and petrol pumps installed in 1963. Messrs R. Wilcox and Sons purchased the garage in 1997, and trade under the name of Castle Garage.
A.E.Wilcox and Son
Mr A E Wilcox purchased part of the former Arnold’s Brewery in 1924, the brewery in 1861 employed 101 men, 5 boys, 4 women. The building was converted into a garage with two petrol pumps.
John Honeyborne’s Grocer’s Shop
John Honeyborne purchased number 31 High Street in the late 1880s. Mr & Mrs F Bleaken sold the property to Mr G. Laker in about 1988, who changed the shop name to Avon Vending Supplies.